MAKING SELECTIONS OR ALPHA CHANNEL SELECTIONS
Copyright © WGB Creations All Rights Reserved.
Do not duplicate, translate, archive, appropriate or redistribute this document.
Tutorial Written 06/23/04
Translate from english to any Language here:
You need the Alpha Channel Selections Image. Unzip to a folder
of your choice.
This Tutorial was written in PSP 8. The Paths will be different in 6 or 7. But it will still work. Open the wgbselections Image. Do a shift D to duplicate and close out the original. I just made a simple Bunny shape to practice on.
1. The first thing you need to do is make sure all your Pieces are together correctly. You do not want to move any pieces once you start making Selections or Alpha Channel Selections. I will fill the Bottom Layer with a bright color and then look to make sure all pieces are together where I want them. I will also do this before I convert to Raster, just in case I need to change a shape some.
2. This is personel preference, but I will also name the layers so I know what to name the Selection. I will also name the Selections 01-name then 02-name. This is good for when you are doing selections so that they will fall in order in the folder they are unzipped to. It doesnt really matter with Alpha Channels as they will fall in the order that you save them. If you are saving the Selections to Disk you will need a folder set up to put them in on your computer.
3. You should now be ready to make Selections or Alpha Channel Selections.
For Saving to Disk:
4. Click on the first layer named Body. Go to Selections/Select All/Selections/Float.
Then go to Selections/Load Save Selection/Save Selection to Disk.
A screen will pop up. Type in the name of your selection as shown in the Screen shot, then click save:
For Saving to Alpha Channel:
5. Click on the first layer named Body. Go to Selections/Select All/Selections/Float.
Then go to Selections/Load Save Selection/Save Selection to Alpha Channel.
A screen will pop up. Type in the name of your selection as shown in the Screen shot, then click save
6. Continue on with all the layers in the Same way. Save your Image when done.
6. If you saved them to the Alpha Channel and you want to offer it for download. You will need to Duplicate the Image. Go through each layer and delete them, or Clear the layer to put your Image together. Rename it something else.
7. To put the Image together. If you saved them to Disk. You will need to open up the same size Image as the Original. Then just go to Selections/Load Save Selection/Load Selection from Disk.
For Alpha Channels:
Open up your Alpha Channel Image. Go to Selections/Load Save Selection/Load Selection from Alpha Channel.
THINGS TO CONSIDER WHEN SAVING TO DISK OR ALPHA CHANNEL
PSP 7 or 6:
You only have 24 Alpha Channels to save to. If you have more Selections than that you should save then to Disk.
If you are saving to Alpha Channel you should save your image to a Lower Version so that lower Versions can use them.
When saving the Image, go to Save as. When the Screen comes up Click on Options. Then Select the Version you want to go to.
Any lower version can not use a PSPSelection. If you want them to be able to use it, you will better off saving them to the Alpha Channel.
PSP 8 has 99 ALpha Channels. BUT Any Lower Version will not be able to handle the Alphas Channels if there are more than 24.
So if you do have more you should let people know it can only be used in 8. A Alpha Channel Image should also be saved at a Lower Version so Other versions can use it.
You can delete a Alpha Channel Selection if you made an error. Go to Image/Delete Alpha Channel. Make sure that All Alpha Channels does not have a check mark in it. Or all will be deleted. Use the Drop down Box to Select the one you want to delete. Then Click on Delete.
If you have any Questions Please feel free to email me.